Thursday, July 24, 2008

Week 6: Thing #13

Technorati is NOT for me. It is too flashy and I cannot concentrate! I searched using several tags and I used the "most popular" tags to see what was going on in the world.

I also toured around Library Thing. Again, it is just way too much for me! I know I'm not that old, but I really like things simple and self-explanatory. I have been using GoodReads for a while now. It is similar to Library Thing, but probably not nearly as advanced. For my needs though, GoodReads is just right. Here is the link... http://www.goodreads.com/ .

I have set up my own del.icio.us account (http://del.icio.us/aksunshine). I LOVE this! Since I have several different computers that I work on, I am constantly wishing I had access to the bookmarks on a different computer. Or, I find that I am explaining a website to a friend/colleague but can't remember the address. Then I have to remember that when I get to my particular computer, I have to copy the bookmark and send it to that person. This makes things way easier.

Here's my only concern...some of my bookmarks go directly into my account, automatic sign in. For a few of them, I was able to back up to the main page for that website and save it to del.icio.us from there. However, there were a few that never really took me to the main page without my info being posted there. Any tips? If I knew that my del.icio.us account were going to stay private or just among invited friends, I wouldn't mind so much. But, since they are open to the public, I found I was a little more limiting in what I added.

I found the tags and searching very easy to use. The tags are similar to what I use in Photoshop, so that was simple to grasp. I think this site would be great for a librarian/teacher to use when working with students and the use of a variety of websites. Of course, there is that danger of students clicking away into various other sights by following some random click trail.

I also think this site would be handy for searching for specific topics/websites that you might not find on a regular Google (or other search engine) search. It certainly broadens the horizons!

I was able to set up my account and add the buttons to my tool bar without a problem. My del.icio.us "network badge" is over there to the right in the sidebar. It is easy to use!

No comments: