Tuesday, July 29, 2008

Week 8: Thing #19.1

It had been so long since I had been on SLED, I was pleasantly surprised by the "new" look. Does anyone out there remember the days when we had those M&M contests using this tool? I am totally thinking of starting that up again as a way to teach students, staff and parents about SLED and how to use it.

I really like the way the page is laid out. Once I went through the flash movie, I had a great understanding of all of the options. However, the manga "kids" on the Digital Pipeline have got to go! I do not know of too many self-respecting tweeners who would sit for that. It was dry and almost over my head as my head kept drooping from boredom!

I love the options on the side for narrowing searches: timeline, photos, text. I would definitely use this version of SLED with my older students. For my younger students, I would stick to the Pipeline version and only with help.

I think that the folder option on the sidebar looked really useful as well. I think having the folder right there and visible on your screen is a great reminder to save and organize your materials as you go.

The related articles option is a nice touch. I felt that the articles suggested were on target. Sometimes when the computer is trying to predict what you are looking for, it is way off base... and a little scary too.

I am glad that I went poking around again. I will use this with my school this year. Since so many teachers will be overwhelmed in those days before school starts, I will probably try to tag team with the technology "classes" that are offered after school for teachers. Small steps!

1 comment:

Raven About Web 2.0 Team said...

Oh, M&Ms. I remember that. I like the new interface. Now we need to get the tutorials updated. Wouldn't you know that we just got those done last year.

Ann